| Randall Agee
Usually brought on by stress, tension headaches can also be triggered by depression, muscle strain, or hunger. Most last for only a short time, but some last for as long as seven days. Essential oils can help soothe the pain and stress associated with tension headaches; you may discover that they work just as well as or better than OTC pain remedies. Consult your doctor if you suffer from chronic headaches, as they can be symptomatic of an underlying illness.
Peppermint Temple Rub:
Peppermint essential oil stops pain and soothes tension. For mild headaches, rubbing the temples with 1 drop of peppermint essential oil per side is often enough to have an almost immediate effect. For stronger headaches, apply the essential oil to the temples and use 3 to 5 drops on the back of the neck, as well.
Three-Oil Relaxation Compress:
MAKES 1 TREATMENT
- 3 Drops Frankincense Essential Oil
- 3 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 3 Drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 1 Pint Cold Water
- In a palm of your hand, add the frankincense, lavender, and peppermint essential oils.
- Rub your hands together, then cup them over your mouth and inhale 3 to 5 times.
- Rub the essential oils onto your forehead.
- In a medium glass bowl, add the cold water.
- Submerge a towel in the water, wring it out, and apply the compress to the forehead taking care to prevent water and essential oils from dripping into your eyes, leave compress in place until it warms to body temperature.
- Repeat this treatment every 2 to 3 hours as needed.