| Randall Agee
Asthma is a condition in which narrowed, swollen airways, and the production of excess mucus make breathing difficult. During an asthma attack, a sufferer may experience wheezing, coughing and shortness of breath, along with tightening of chest that can lead to panic. Dust mites, mold, pollen, stress, and pet dander are among the most common asthma triggers. See a doctor if natural remedies and trigger avoidance do not prevent symptoms.
MAKES 1 TREATMENT
Lavender essential oil relaxes lung spasms and soothes the panic that often accompanies an asthma attack, while steam helps open the airway. Lavender is one of the only essential oils recommended for use during, rather than between, asthma attacks. As always, make sure you are not sensitive to lavender essential oil before relying on this treatment.
- 3 Cups Hot Water
- 6 To 8 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
- In a large, shallow bowl, add the hot water and 6 drops of lavender essential oil, and stir to combine.
- Sit comfortably tenting your head with a towel over the bowl, and breathe deeply for several minutes, emerging for fresh air as needed.
- Using your fingertips, apply I drop of lavender essential oil to the sole of each foot, and massage it into the skin to intensify the effect while relieving tension.
- Repeat this treatment once a day as needed.
Preventive Inhalation Rub:
MAKES 30 TREATMENTS
This soothing inhalation rub encourages deep breathing, helping the chest expand; the peppermint essential oil is a strong decongestant that can help prevent asthma attacks. Use this rub between attacks, preferably at bedtime. This remedy is also excellent for soothing cold and flu symptoms.
- 2 ounces carrier oil
- 12 drops lavender essential oil
- 8 drops geranium essential oil
- 4 drops peppermint essential oil
- 2 drops marjoram essential oil
- In a dark-colored glass bottle, add the carrier oil along with the lavender, geranium. peppermint, and marjoram essential oils, and shake well to blend.
- Using your fingertips, apply a small amount to the chest, and massage it into the skin.
- Repeat this treatment once a day at bedtime. Store the bottle in a cool, dark place between uses.