| Randall Agee
Bruises are caused when blood vessels rupture or tear following an impact such as a fall or hard bump. Some bruises are minor and fade on their own within a few days; others are accompanied by temporary soreness and swelling. Some bruises spread in the direction of gravity, while others change colors as they heal. If you suffer from severe bruising, pain, and swelling that continue to worsen 30 minutes or longer after an accident, then a fracture or severe sprain may be present. Seek medical attention promptly if you suspect a serious injury is present.
MAKES 1 TREATMENT
Helichrysum and cypress essential oils constrict blood vessels to speed bruise healing, particularly when applied at the first signs of bruising. The cold helps prevent bruises from swelling and spreading.
- 1 Drop Helichrysum Essential Oil
- 1 Drop Cypress Essential Oil
- 2 Drops Carrier Oil
- 1 Pint Cold Water
- Using your fingertips, apply the helichrysum essential oil to the bruise, followed by the cypress essential oil, then the carrier oil.
- In a medium glass bowl, add the water.
- Submerge a towel in the water, wring it out, and apply the compress to the affected area. Leave the compress in place for 15 minutes or until it warms to body temperature.
- Repeat this treatment every 6 hours for up to 24 hours.
Bruise Healing Blend:
MAKES 12 TO 24 TREATMENTS:
After a bruise stops swelling, it's important to promote circulation to the area, which helps speed the healing process. Lavender, lemongrass, and geranium essential oils combined with helichrysum and cypress essential oils aid in promoting faster bruise healing.
- 10 drops helichrysum essential oil
- 8 drops lavender essential oil
- 6 drops cypress essential oil
- 6 drops geranium essential oil
- 6 drops lemongrass essential oil
- In a dark-colored glass bottle fitted with an orifice reducer, add the helichrysum, lavender, cypress, geranium, and lemongrass essential oils, and shake well to blend.
- Using your fingertips, apply 1 to 3 drops of the blend to the bruised area.
- Repeat this treatment 2 or 3 times a day until the bruise is healed