| Randall Agee
Chicken pox is a highly contagious viral disease characterized by prominent pox marks and an itchy red rash. Blisters eventually break open and ooze before scabs form. It is vital that the patient be kept as comfortable as possible to prevent scratching, which can lead to infection and cause scars to form.
Lavender-Tea Tree Salve:
MAKES 5 TREATMENTS
Lavender essential oil calms skin and relieves itching, and tea tree essential oil helps prevent the chicken pox from becoming infected. Calamine lotion helps the treatment stick to the chicken pox and takes the place of a carrier oil. If you have more than one sick child, consider doubling this recipe.
- In a dark colored glass bottle, add the calamine lotion along with the lavender and tea tree essential oils, and shake well to blend.
- Dab the slave on the chicken pox as needed, allowing the treatment to dry before putting on clothes.
- Repeat this treatment as needed throughout the day to bring relief and prevent scratching.
Soothing Lavender Oatmeal Bath:
MAKES 1 TREATMENT
Oatmeal is renowned for its ability to help stop itching caused by chicken pox, hives and similar conditions. Lavender essential oil helps calm the itch, too, while helping skin heal. To make future baths easier to prepare, cook extra oatmeal in advance.Ingredients:
- 2 Cups Cooked Oatmeal
- 4 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
- Place the oatmeal in a cloth bag.
- Draw a warm bath and add the lavender essential oil to the running water
- Add the oatmeal bag to the water.
- Soak for at least 15 minutes. Use caution when getting out of the bathtub, as it maybe slippery
- Repeat this treatment as needed to bring relief