| Randall Agee
Infrequent bowel movements, straining, hard stools, and lower abdomen discomfort are among the most common symptoms of constipation. While not normally serious, constipation is uncomfortable, embarrassing, and even debilitating in some cases. If increased water and fiber intake combined with natural remedies do not ease your symptoms, see your doctor, as constipation is sometimes a symptom of a more serious illness.
Rosemary Movement Massage:
MAKES 10 TREATMENTS
Lemon, peppermint, and rosemary essential oils soothe abdominal discomfort while promoting circulation; the massage helps stimulate the bowel and should provide relief. Hasten the process by drinking 8 ounces of water or herbal tea hourly and ensure that your diet is conducive to healthy bowel movements.
- 2 1/2 Ounces Carrier Oil
- 30 Drops Rosemary Essential Oil
- 20 Drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 10 Drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- In a dark colored glass bottle, combine the carrier oil along with the rosemary, lemon and peppermint essential oils, and shake well to blend.
- Using your fingertips, apply ½ tablespoon to the lower abdomen and massage it into the skin in a clockwise direction for 5-10 minutes.
- Repeat this treatment up to 3 times a day until the constipation is relieved.
MAKES 1 TREATMENT
Cassia essential oil can help stimulate bowel movements. Because it can cause irritation, make sure that you conduct a patch test prior to using it on sensitive abdominal skin. If cassia essential oil is not on hand, ginger essential oil can be used in its place.
- 1 Teaspoon Carrier Oil
- 5 Drops Cassia Essential Oil
- In a small glass bowl, add the carrier oil and cassia essential oil, and stir to combine.
- Using your fingertips, apply the blend to the lower abdomen, and massage it into the skin in clockwise direction.
- Repeat this treatment once an hour until bowel movement occurs.