| Randall Agee
Fleas may come indoors with pets, or they may hitch a ride on socks, shoes, and trouser legs. Treating your home and pets with natural essential oils is a good alternative to chemical solutions.
Citronella Carpet Powder:
MAKES 1 TREATMENT
Fleas love to hide in carpet. Repel them while making cleanup easier with this natural, fresh-smelling carpet powder. Both citronella and lemongrass repel fleas, and borax acts as a chemical-free pesticide.
- 1 cup borax
- 20 drops citronella essential oil
- 10 drops lemongrass essential oil
- In a medium glass bowl, add the borax along with the citronella and lemongrass essential oils, and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a sugar shaker.
- Sprinkle the powder generously on the carpet.
- Allow the treatment to remain in place for 1 hour, then vacuum the carpet.
- Repeat the treatment once a day as needed.
Lavender essential oil is a natural flea repellent that can be used instead of toxic topical treatments sold in stores. As an added benefit, lavender kills the fungus and bacteria that cause some pets to emit an unpleasant odor. Apply lavender essential oil directly to your dog or cat by sprinkling 1 to 3 drops onto your hands and rubbing it in the fur. Repeat this treatment daily during flea season.