In the world of aromatherapy, Carrier Oils receive less coverage in comparison to Essential Oils because they do not contain the therapeutic elements and have a neutral scent. Although, as the term indicates they “carry” the EO onto the skin due to their volatile nature making CO, a vital supplement. In this blog, we will explore the types of carriers, the healthy properties of each and what can they be best used for.
Types of Carriers:
The three basic types of Carrier Oils are Non-Drying, Semi-Drying, and Drying.
Non-Drying Carrier Oils are best suited for people with dry skin since they take longer to dry out. The examples of these oils include; Almond Oil, Castor Oil.
Semi-Drying Carrier Oils are for the ones with a combination skin type i.e., normal to dry. The examples are Sunflower Oil, Sesame Oil, and Jojoba Oil.
Drying Carrier Oils dry up at a faster rate, which makes them more suitable for people with oily skin. Here are some examples of drying carrier oils: Linseed Oil, Jojoba Oil.
Properties and Benefits of Carrier Oils:
True carrier oils are generally cold-pressed or infused, below is the list of Oils you can choose from along with their benefits:
1. Almond Oil: This oil is highly demanded among its users due to its moisturizing and nourishing characteristics. The nutty fragrance is a bonus along with high rate of absorption into the skin and nourishing it with its good quantities of vitamin E.
2. Castor Oil: Castor Oil has antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties. It is often used topically to help reduce pain and soothe irritated skin. It is best to dilute it with other carrier oils or in DIY scrubs.
3. Sunflower Oil: This Oil extracted from sunflower seeds that are rich in vitamin A, D and E. This oil aids in softening, moisturizing skin, and to soothe irritation, so you can add this oil to your massage oils (works as a substitute for Almond Oil) or use for general skin care.
4. Sesame Oil: Comes from sesame seeds is a lesser-known vegetable oil and mostly used in ayurvedic massages to get rid of body heat. Sesame oil is high in vitamins, protein, and minerals that help in improving hair and skin health and treating ailments like depression and anxiety.
5. Jojoba Oil: It is greatly known for its moisturizing properties. Frequent use of Jojoba oil can reduce acne by mimicking the natural oils of the skin and making it think it has produced enough oil. As this oil absorbs easily, it can be used in massage oils, facial moisturizers, and bath oils.6. Linseed Oil: Also known as the flaxseed Oil has omega-3 fatty acid, a nutrient that is also found in Fish Oil. While comparing both, Flaxseed Oil is seen to have higher disease preventing properties because of no mercury that is present in Fish Oil. This oil is said to manage conditions like eczema, weight gain, arthritis, and anti-aging, aids in reducing cellulite, anxiety and prevents cancer.
7. Pistachio Oil: This green colored oil has a distinctive flavor and is rich in Vitamin E. Pistachio oil works tremendously in lowering cholesterol and balancing sugar levels, proving to be a delightful treat for diabetics and pre-diabetics alike. It is also tried and tested for beautifying dry and rough skin and a scalp massage can provide voluminous, shiny hair.
8. Walnut Oil: A good quality Walnut Oil has a color like topaz. It has a smooth nutty taste and is high in minerals and vitamins. Walnut Oil has multiple qualities that treat skin issues like Psoriasis, infections and reducing wrinkles and dark circles. You can also use it for hair growth and remove dandruff. It is a great benefactor for improving overall health like reducing belly fat.
Important note: If you are allergic to nuts, avoid using Walnut, Pistachio, and Almond Oil.
*Bonus* Here are a few quick tips you can try at home with Bee Pure Organics Carrier Oils:
Jojoba Oil as a Natural Make-up Remover: Jojoba oil removes makeup naturally from the face and eye area and actually nourishes the skin at the same time. Simply soak a cotton ball with the oil and use it to remove makeup and dirt.
Castor Oil for reducing Dandruff and Scalp Infections: Castor oil is an excellent home remedy for clearing dandruff. Mix 3 tsp. of castor oil with an equal amount of olive oil and 3 tsp. of fresh lemon juice. Massage it into your scalp and leave for 30 minutes. Use a natural shampoo to rinse out. Repeat once a week.
Exfoliating Walnut and Orange Scrub:
1. Sugar – 1 Cup
2. Bee Pure Organics Walnut Carrier Oil – Half a cup
3. Bee Pure Organics Orange Essential Oil – 1 Drop
4. An Orange or any citrus fruit of your choice
5. A grater, wooden spatula, a bowl and a glass jar with a tight lid.
Add sugar and walnut oil in a bowl; mix them well until it forms a scrubby texture. Add a drop of Orange Essential Oil and grate some outer peel of the fruit in the mixture. Mix it with a wooden spatula.
Once the mixture is ready, store it in a tight lid jar and apply it for exfoliation.
Let me know what you think of our carrier oils and which one is your favorite. You can also share your recipes with us and we will feature them on our blog!